Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Birthday Boy…

I turned 37 on Good Friday and spent a leisurely day slobbing around with the missus. She gives good presents so apart from books and DVDs I also got tickets to see the Editors and the Cheek By Jowl production of The Changeling at the Barbican. She then took me to see the Modernism exhibition at the V&A on Saturday.

I’d never ventured inside the V&A before as I’d always assumed it was just dresses and other Victoriana, which I find quite dull at the best of times (Sherlock Holmes, Dracula and Jack the Ripper notwithstanding). But it’s actually pretty fabuous and it may soon enter the pantheon of my favourite places in London (Tate Modern, British Museum, Soho Theatre, Science Museum, Kentish Town Snooker Club) if I go again and really get to grips with the place.

I did have an epiphanic moment, though, when I realized that I am now nearly 40 and that 40 is quite close to 50 which is only 10 years away from 60. Gulp! In the words of Charles Bukowski ‘Oh, I was once young, Oh, I was once unbelievably young!’

To make matters worse I decided to defy my age and trained four times at hapkido during the previous week. This was obviously a mental thing to do and I only succeeded in making my body feel more aged and knackered…

Fortunately I am now back on an even keel and have decided that 40 is the new 30 which is only 10 years away from 20 which practically makes me a teenager.

‘Well, you do behave like a child!’ said the missus helpfully when I posited this theory. Ain’t marriage great!

No comments: