Sunday, June 24, 2012

Theatre Thoughts: Part II...

The show finished so I spent a day clearing out my office and making space for new ideas and projects.

This used to be a ritual at the end of any project many years ago and it's amazing how quickly I reverted to this long-forgotten habit. Of course, this particular show is not over: we have reports to file for our funders; hold a debrief meeting to discuss both the process and what we learnt; and hold another debrief meeting about the production and how we improve it before touring next year.

But I'm fired again and wanting to start work on the comedy play I'm now convinced will finally 'break' me and the more serious project I have lined up for later next year, which may well 'break' me in a different way as the research is quite morbid and involving.

I also have other decisions to make about what I do next year because if I'm committing to new productions then I'm going to have to lose something from my schedule to create the time.

But whatever gives the theatre work has to be sustainable. It's no longer enough to just do good work; it now has to pay or have at least the prospect of paid work as an end result. But having that goal to aim for and making that happen will make the commitment worth it. I'm genuinely excited by the possibilities again. And that's a good thing.

And my guiding thinking on this new road will be a quote by Miyamoto Musashi:
'Do nothing which is of no use.'

Or... if it doesn't serve your purpose or advance your goal then forget it.

It will be interesting to see if I can be that single-minded about this personal plan and bring the focus I bring to helping everyone else to my own work.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Professor, i m your mass media evangelism student,
pls add me in your google account,thx