Sunday, January 25, 2015

Breakdown: Part 1...


I am a tad worried that I may be having a breakdown of some description. 

I was out playing snooker with a friend the other day and, dotted around the club, were flyers advertising a vacancy for a part-time table cleaner. The hours were daily between 7-11am and the flyer suggested it would suit 'a student or an active pensioner'.


And I genuinely thought 'I'd like to do that!' It would be a quiet work environment, I could cycle there from home and cycle back again and that would be good exercise, and I could take real pride in making sure those tables were in pristine condition before the club opened and the players arrived. 


I'd get real satisfaction out of doing something like that. I'd be meticulous and I would genuinely care. I'd be good at it, too, because it's a good club and they recognise the importance of providing a professional playing environment for all their players. And I could contribute to that and it would make me happy. 


The Missus pointed out that this was probably an indication of current stresses in my latest job and a lack of satisfaction after a tough few weeks. She also said it would pass. 


But I fear it won't pass. I fear it's getting worse. I'm currently in a well-paid job and an alternative career doing menial work that is probably poorly paid is sounding tempting...


I also read OK! today and I genuinely wanted to shoot most of the people in it. And although that is probably a perfectly rational response, it isn't a right one. Or is it? I'm too confused to tell...

No comments: