Monday, June 29, 2015

Cyndi Lauper...


I've been on a bit of a nostalgia trip through 1980s music for the last few years and I've rediscovered some wonderful stuff. 

My most recent re-find, however, is Cyndi Lauper. She's sometimes wrongly just seen as a kooky American artiste, but I've been delving into her back catalogue and there's some truly wonderful stuff there. 

True Colours, Time After Time and Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, plus her cover versions of I Drove All Night and I'm Gonna Be Strong, are songs that still absolutely stand up. And if there's a more joyful and celebratory love song than That's What I Think then I've yet to hear it. 

Lauper's also still going strong and, most recently, won a Tony award for her work on the musical version of the Brit flick, Kinky Boots, and also released a 30th anniversary version of her debut album, She's So Unusual. 

In summary, Lauper kicks all kinds of arse. And she's not kicking that arse yet!

No comments: