Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Competition Time...


Finally! At the fourth attempt, my first wins at purple belt.

My opponent in gi was a no-show, so I went into a three-man event in no-gi. This is not my preferred discipline of the two. Result: two fights and two hard-fought submissions against skilled and gracious opponents, and a gold medal. 

There were points in both fights I had to hang in a bit. But as soon as I got my closed guard shut, I felt like I was reasonably OK. There were also points in both fights I thought, 'I can win this.' That quickly became, 'I can win this. Don't fuck it up by being overly creative.'

I was decent at this event, but I've been around long enough to realise I also had a day where I got everything right. I also leveraged a couple of small position errors my opponents made to force myself into a better position.

There will be other days where stuff goes wrong and I get smashed again. But I'll take today.

No comments: