Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Woody Good Pecker

I’ve just finished reading a biography of US folk singer and songwriter Woody Guthrie. His musical legacy came into sharp focus for me when Billy Bragg did two albums of his songs with Wilco a few years ago and I’ve slowly dipped into his music ever since.

The biography by Ed Cray is entertaining and moving stuff and Woody, undoubtedly a true folk legend, sadly comes across as a bit of a shit who consistently let down his family and couldn’t keep his cock in his trousers. A tireless left-wing and union campaigner, he died from Huntingdon’s chorea in 1967.

As a semi-tribute to Woody my cue case and my laptop now sport the slogan ‘This machine kills fascists’ that he used to have on his guitar. How my computer and my cue case will kill these fascists is something I haven’t quite decided but I like the stickers.

No comments: