Monday, October 20, 2008

Rambo...

I have to confess I love Sylvester Stallone. I genuinely think he's a very clever bloke and I still think First Blood and Rocky are pretty good films so I was rather pleased when the Rambo DVD arrived through our letterbox.

The plot of Rambo is hardly Chekhovian: former Vietnam vet John Rambo is now a boatman who's hired to take several religious do-gooders into Burma where they hope to dish out Bibles and provide some medical care. But they're captured by nasty Burmese army types and he has to return to rescue them with a bunch of mercenaries.

It's pretty standard Rambo fayre but at just over 80 minutes there's not too much time for character development. There is shedloads of bloody violence, though, as everyone's favourite former Green Beret cuts his way through swathes of nasty Burmese soldiers and saves the day.

The Missus watched the movie with me and she claimed it was the worst film she'd ever seen. I argued, however, that it was a telling critique of US foreign policy and the morality of the peace movement because the only way anything got done was through violence and warfare – even though it fundamentally didn't change anything (apart from Rambo himself, who returns home to his family in America).

I said I saw this latter development in particular as another analogy of what US foreign policy should be and that the US should follow Rambo's idea and get out of troubled areas and head home to sort out their own problems first.

The Missus told me I was an idiot. I, however, think I may be a foreign policy expert-in-waiting.

No comments: