Wednesday, January 30, 2013

How Journalism Works...

In my professional life as a journalist, I get some pretty desperate emails from some pretty desperate PRs hungry to whore their clients in order to get them any form of publicity.

And I get the deal... They want to keep the profiles of their clients as high as possible and they're only doing their job. And the fact that many of their clients are talent-vacuum oxygen thieves with no real or discernible skill, whose only real claim to fame is appearing on some reality TV show, doesn't actually seem  to matter.

But every once in my while the mechanics of my industry still has the power to shock. Take today as a case in point...

A work colleague asked me to come and look at some pictures and, when I arrived at his screen, I was presented with semi-naked pictures of a sixtysomething soap star sunbathing topless. The shots looked like they were long-lens shots and clearly taken without the poor actress concerned's permission.

As far as I know, the actress concerned isn't any sort of publicity whore and she generally keeps a low public profile. She's quite good at what she does and she's part of a show with a huge fanbase. She certainly doesn't make herself a target for this sort of attention.

So what topless long-lens pictures of her were doing for sale on a photographer's website is somehow beyond me. I was genuinely appalled to see them. And appalling me is quite a feat these days...

Then I started thinking the thought process of the photographer concerned through, and I got even more appalled because I realised that he must have thought these were a sellable commodity. And that he had the right to sell them. With no consideration for the person concerned. And all for a quick buck.

Human beings are capable of amazing things, but when I see stuff like this happen I fear that Bill Hicks was maybe right. Maybe we are just a virus with shoes and we deserve to be wiped out.

Fortunately, the Leveson Report demanded some quite sweeping changes that will help outlaw this sort of practice. So thank God, Cameron and his mates are implementing them. Oh... Hang on... They're not, are they?

We're doomed...

No comments: