Saturday, September 29, 2018

Redundancy: Part II...


When I realised that redundancy was not a vague possibility but a distinct probability, which not surprisingly was about the same time the people in charge of the magazine where I worked changed its frequency, I took some steps to put a few things in motion. And the first of these was to organise a play reading for the end of the year. 

There were two ideas behind this. 

The first was that it would get me writing my own work again. I had written nothing new for about 18 months and this was largely due to the demands of the day job. But I knew I had to create time to get back into the swing of things, so I gave myself the very real deadline of writing a new play for an advertised rehearsed reading with paying punters.

The second idea was that if I was serious about eventually securing work writing for the TV soaps I loved, then I had to have a new script that could act as a calling card. So my new play, The Selkie, is a bit domestic in setting and quite simple in plot. But I am hoping it also showcases my love of strong dialogue and an ability to write sympathetic characters. 

The first rehearsal is now in three days time and I have just completed the first draft of the script. Then I have another rehearsal a week later. Three days after that, the play gets the first of its two public outings before a paying audience.

I am both excited by this prospect and slightly terrified. I have time to tidy the script up before the opening rehearsal, then I have an additional week to take in any major edits the first rehearsal throws up.

It's great to finish the first draft of something new again. But I'm also aware the real work is about to begin...

On the plus side, I have no job to distract my attention and sap my energy.

No comments: