Wednesday, April 24, 2019

How to Be 50: Part V...


I have now done my first Hapkido lesson and my first No-Gi BJJ lesson as a 50-year-old. The pre-birthday aim was that I always intended to train until I was 50. Post-birthday, that goalpost has now shifted to 55, but both classes still offered nice moments.

At hapkido, I was running the class and I'd planned to do lots of pad striking. But the lesson time sort of ran away with me. That was a shame as I'd picked up a couple of nice new punching drills from the MMA classes I've been attending and I wanted to bring these into the hapkido class. 

I then did an open mat session at No-Gi BJJ, which involved 90 minutes of straight sparring. I was ruined by the end of this, but I got a couple of things right alongside getting lovingly murdered by the senior belts. I also got to wear my new Masters Division rash guard (pictured above), which was a birthday present.

The rash guard is made by a friend who designs BJJ clothing and fight wear. His company is called Bain and I have quite a few of his t-shirts, too. One of these is part of a series of ranked t-shirts with the name of your BJJ belt colour written on it in that colour. 

Being a blue belt at BJJ may be a humble brag to many. But I wear my ranked t-shirt with a tiny bit of pride as I know how hard I worked to get that blue belt. Sadly, somebody recently looked at my ranked t-shirt and she told me that her daughter used to like that band as well.

So one of my favourite shirts can also be mistaken for a fan t-shirt of the band, Blue. Humble brag crushed. Move on...

No comments: