Monday, July 15, 2019

Competition Time: Part I...


Since taking redundancy, I've trained consistently hard at my new BJJ gym in Guildford. I've probably trained more consistently here in the last six months than at any other point in my martial arts life. It obviously helps that the pressures of work are not interfering, but it's just been an absolute blast to put the hours in. 

Most of the belts my level and above pretty comprehensively murder me at the gym, and several of the white belts are rapidly improving and catching me in submissions, too. But BJJ remains an utter joy. You can't have an ego doing it. You've just got to continue rolling and learning. I've also been doing No Gi for about six months, too, which is faster and has different handles to get to grips with. 

I've had such a good time here that I decided I'd compete again, so I entered the Brighton Open in the No Gi, Gi Absolutes and Gi categories. I had no idea what to expect in the No Gi, but I felt I had a decent chance in the Gi category if I was fighting in my age bracket. 

Up first was the No Gi. I fought a muscled opponent 15 years younger and quickly got full guard. I defended the position and tried a couple of attack and sweeps. I got an advantage point up and I scraped the win. There were only two of us the category so I got Gold. An unexpected win.

I then had a six-hour wait until I fought in the Absolutes in Gi. I again got full guard early and I tried a couple of sweeps and attacks. But after five minutes, the match was pointless so it went to a referee's decision. I lost this, but I was sort of happy enough. Even though I was exhausted.

I then had ten minutes until my Gi fight in my age category. I was feeling OK about this, but it didn't go to plan. I got the opponent in my guard, then I just made daft mistake after daft mistake. I'd been very disciplined in my previous fights, but I lost that mental discipline in this fight. I have no complaints about losing. He was better than me on the day. I'm just annoyed I screwed up and made life difficult for myself.

But competition is always tough and I had two good fight performances out of three. Next time out, my discipline and game plan will be getter and my gas tank will be better because I'll drop the Absolutes and just compete in two events. 

The best thing about the whole day, though, was the level of support I got from my fellow team-mates. It was contagious and I certainly returned the favour when they were fighting. Everyone I saw fight from the gym tried their nuts off and there were notable successes for quite a few people. But even the ones who didn't medal went out and tested themselves and will be better for it. 

A rising tide floats all boats. And improving standards and greater fighting experience gathered at this event will hopefully mean all our ships are on the move.

No comments: