Monday, February 24, 2020

Competition Time: Part II...


A day after competing and I am less angry with myself. But that would not be hard considering the foul fucking mood I left the venue in. I basically lost all discipline and hit the self-destruct button at the tournament.

The truth is that I've been here before when I crashed and burnt at a big national pool event a few years ago. What I did after that was stew for a few days, then dissect, dismantle and rebuild my entire single-frame game. Result: I've regularly performed at every big tournament since under the pressure of not letting my team-mates down.

So I clearly need to adopt a similar policy here.

My best strategy at BJJ is always to pull guard, get my opponent in my closed guard, secure an overhook and attack from there with omoplatas, chokes and wrist locks. I have been trying to add half guard into this mix for a while, too, and it's sort of coming along.

So I need to build in more strategies to get opponents into this place where I feel I operate best and I need to build in more failsafes to avoid making myself vulnerable when this doesn't happen. 

So my four priorities for the next few months need to be: 
i) drill mount and side control escape combinations so I can escape bad positions and either establish or re-establish half or full guard 
ii) drill pulling guard or throwing using the Greco throw I like to get on top of an opponent 
iii) drill butterfly, shin-on-shin or single x to defend bad positions when I am fighting a standing opponent from the floor
iv) drill breaking and passing guard to establish a better position 

Any other fancy shit can wait. I think that's a decent plan.

No comments: