Friday, April 25, 2008

The Zen Of Pool: Part VII...

I was out with the Other Woman this week and we went off to play some US pool at Rileys in Victoria.

I'm slowly beginning to quite like this club as it has some decent nineball and US eightball players and they're quite a useful barometer to gauge my own progress at the game. I'm also not boozing at the moment so my pool game is having less beer-inspired moments but my overall form is plateauing out and remaining steady. And this is good.

I also haven't played much recently so I was quite looking forward to our night of potting balls and I played very well. The Other Woman is not a bad player herself and if she took it seriously she could easily make a county-standard player in a few months, but I was flying and even using a racker there was very little she could do but watch me clear frame after frame.

I think I'm going to keep playing US pool as it's something I can do to unwind and practice at the same time. But it doesn't seem like practice and that's probably the key...

It also makes practice feel less jaded. It's partly the reason I'm doing boxing from next week as it will be new and fun so it won't seem like training for martial arts (even though it is).

Routines are obviously good things but a bit of variety is nice as well. Though obviously not within a marriage unless both partners are consenting...

No comments: