Sunday, January 03, 2010

Rooted: Part I...

In my former life as a community theatre writer and director one of the big ideas I was into was the idea of 'rooting', which – unless you're Australian where it means something totally different – translates as the idea of establishing firm foundations and a firm understanding of basic principles behind a project so that it continues growing long after the initial burst of excitement is over.

For me 2009 was all about 're-rooting' so now that 2010 has kicked in I'm ready to roll.

On the martial arts front 2009 was about getting myself into a position where I could think about grading for my black belt in 2010; in my writing it was about having a play I was happy with ready to send out when 2010 starts and having another one ready to finish by the first third of the year; on the pool front it was about rediscovering my urge to compete at a decent level; and on the home front it was about relocating and settling into a new home and a new town so myself and the Missus can enjoy a new life now the Boy is at university.

Consequently I'm realy looking forward to 2010. I've always believed that life (like pool and martial arts) is always about position and if you put yourself in the best position to strike effectively then you give yourself a half chance at success.

So I'm rooted, I'm in position and I'm raring to go. Let's have a look at you, 2010...

No comments: