Monday, March 26, 2007

Tales From Goole: Part 1…

My long weekend home sans the Missus was a pretty successful one.

Going home can sometimes be a bit of a trial because I’m obviously distanced from it by geography, time and experience but I’m pleased to report it was all pretty good. I caught up with my family, met my new niece, spent some time with my other nieces and nephews and caught up with a few other notables.

It turned into quite a heavy boozing weekend when myself and Older Brother headed out for a pint on Saturday morning and he took me to a pub called the Jailhouse where I was stunned that a pint only cost £1.20.

I also thought the name of the pub was quite funny as Goole has something of a reputation as a real trouble spot and, although the Jailhouse is based on geographical history (the site of the town’s original jailhouse in 1826), I’d love to have been at the council meeting where permission for that name was granted. Their PR department were obviously out to lunch when that was passed.

But Goole’s quite good for names: there’s the off-license Rhythm ‘n’ Booze; the tanning shop Tan-fastic!; and the town’s most famous transsexual who nobody could decide to call by their male or female name so instead just called he/her He-She.

I also headed out with Older Brother and Little Brother for a few hours of pool on Friday night – and it was almost like a step back in time to when we were kids playing at home and desperately trying to beat each other. Little Sister’s Fella also came along and he looks like he can hold a cue too.

I also heard the best joke in the world – which I’ll tell tomorrow…

No comments: