Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Leon…

It is Easter Monday and myself, the Missus and the Boy have just finished watching the Luc Besson movie Leon.

This is one of several films I’ve been trying to get the Boy, who’s now turning into a major film fan, to watch for ages as I know he likes another Luc Besson film, The Fifth Element. I am optimistic that he will enjoy this so as the closing credits roll I ask what he thought of it…

‘It was excellent.’
‘I’m glad you liked it. I really like it too. Well apart from the Sting song at the end…’
‘I might watch it again,’ says the Boy excitedly.
‘Did you like the action sequences too?’
‘Yes. It was all good?’
‘And did you get the bit where they wake up in bed together?’
‘Yes…’
‘Because I always love the fact that Besson doesn’t dwell on the fact that they’ve slept together, that it just happens and it goes unsaid by the two of them…’

There is a silence. The Boy looks puzzled.

‘But they haven’t slept together.’
‘Yes they have.’
‘She’s a 12-year-old girl, he’s a grown man, it would make Leon a phaedophile.’
‘But it’s not like that. Their love is something pure and trusting.’
‘The fact they sleep in the same bed is a sign he feels relaxed enough around her to let his guard down. It shows how she’s changed him – not that she’s shagged him. Idiot.’

The Missus now decides to join in the conversation.
‘He’s right you know. It’s about innocent love and not illegal sex.’

The Boy also joins in again.
‘How could you think they shagged? You’re just wrong in the head.’

I go to my office. Alone…

No comments: