Friday, August 17, 2007

All Played Out?

I will not winning the Verity Bargate Award this year after a rejection letter landed on the doormat this morning.

Rejection is never a good thing and I was convinced I was in with a real chance of getting somewhere in this competition. But it's not happening. Of course it doesn't mean that's it for the play Meat as I still have faith in both the premise and the script, and in the grand scheme of things Soho is not the only theatre in the UK that accepts new work.

But it's annoying to be stopped in your tracks, especially when it's a piece of work you really believe in.

So what happened? By my reckoning it's either:
i) The play is rubbish and I am deluded.
ii) They thought the play was rubbish.
iii) It wasn't what they were looking for.
iv) It was too off-kilter.
v) It was not off-kilter enough.
vi) The play is good but there were just better plays submitted.
vii) The play is good and they have entirely missed this fact.
viii) It was read by a vindictive former lover who took great delight in wrecking my hopes to repay some old wrong I did her.

Sadly I know it wasn't the latter so it could well be any of the others. But at times like this it's important to have self-belief and I know it is a good, strong and substantial play.

So I'll spend the next month going over it again to tighten it up and prove they are wrong and ensure it will be a major success.

That'll learn 'em...

No comments: