Thursday, August 30, 2007

When In Rome III...

Today we have explored the Forum (Ancient Roman ruins), the Palantine (Ancient Roman ruins on top of a hill) and the Colosseum (Ancient Roman ruins in the shape of an arena).

It was stupidly hot and although it was pretty awe-inspiring I felt thoroughly over-loaded on Roman ruins. The Missus and the Boy were also not impressed by my new comedy joke. This went something along the lines of me saying ‘It’ll be good when it’s finished…’ whenever we passed a partially ruined or partially recovered monument.

By 4pm this gag was wearing a little thin and both were threatening violence if I ever repeated the joke again. So I tried to defend myself:
‘I’m just demonstrating how to crack a joke then give it additional shelf-life…’

The Boy looks at me despairingly.
‘You’re actually demonstrating how to crack a joke then run it into the ground before stabbing and shooting it to death to ensure it has actually died.’

The Missus raised her eyebrows as if to agree with him. I may need to rethink my routine from here on in…

No comments: