Sunday, August 05, 2007

Matthew Bourne’s The Car Man…

He’s a clever bloke that Matthew Bourne because his fancy dance ways and beautiful choreography won over the Missus many years ago.

Consequently I have now become a regular patron of his shows and I think he’s pretty good, although I am hardly the most knowledgeable dance fan in the world.

But myself and my girl have now seen Matthew Bourne’s Edward Scissorhands and Matthew Bourne’s Swan Lake, and we are going to see Matthew Bourne’s Nutcracker at Xmas.

Of course it’s purely a marketing device but using his name as a precursor to every single one of this shows seems a bit silly and in the quite bits of the show last night my mind started wandering… I imagined the Bourne household has stickers all over the place that read Matthew Bourne’s toilet, Matthew Bourne’s pencil and Matthew Bourne’s nasal hair trimmer.

But I digress… Matthew Bourne’s The Car Man nicks the music and the seedy setting of Bizet’s Carmen and steals the plot from The Postman Always Rings Twice then throws a bit of bisexuality into it. So we have a seedy rundown town where a stranger arrives, shags the local businessman’s wife then knobs the young boy loved by the woman’s sister. The stranger ends up killing the hubby but pins the blame on the young boy. The young boy is jailed, escapes jail and returns to town to wreak revenge. The end.

It’s pretty gritty stuff and very raunchy too and the dancing was beautiful and very sexy. I could well get into this dance lark. In fact I suggested myself and the Missus learn to dance on the way home and she just stared, a look of horror and pity in her eyes. I think that was a ‘No'.

Probably for the best...

No comments: