Tuesday, October 23, 2007

MP Watch…

At last! After two letters and one email and nine months of waiting I finally have a response from Brent South MP Dawn Butler about her position on the cancellation of the SFO (Serious Fraud Office) investigation into the Al Yamamah military contract.

And her position is… she’s repeating the Government line by stating in her letter that it was ‘made in the countries best interests nationally’.

Bloody cop out. The letter is also so sneakily written that she just repeats this line and doesn’t even mention whether she agrees with it or not. Oh, and she can’t use apostrophes and doesn’t know the difference between ‘country’s’ and ‘countries’.

On the plus side she has forwarded my letter to Defence Minister Kim Howells MP and asked him to write to me expressing his thoughts on the matter.

I thought that was quite a nice touch as it passes the buck but also shows that she is trying to get me an answer.

So on the plus side she has written back to me and tried to get me an answer, which is good. But on the minus side it did take ages and she still hasn’t expressed her views on corrupt arms deals, which is less good but very politician-like.

She’ll go far will this one…

No comments: