Monday, January 21, 2008

More Reasons To Be Cheerful…

i) I went training on Friday afternoon and I was the only student present so I had a one-on-one class with my hapkido instructor. Most people pay quite a lot of money for this privilege but by a fluke of timing I got it for free. I then went to a senior belts class on Sunday, which was fabulous too. Both were hard work but it also proved to me that I’m sometimes actually half-decent at hapkido. I just have to remember that when I attend a senior belts class in future I should remember to actually bring my belt or I can’t tie my do-bok (uniform) up.

ii) I saw Christian Slater in Swimming With Sharks at the Vaudeville Theatre and it was OK. It’s a play about a ruthless Hollywood film-maker who slowly corrupts his assistant by forcing him to choose his career over the woman he loves. It wasn’t a major piece of work but it was thoughtful and entertaining enough. A bit like the Robert Altman film The Player but without the subtlety or skillful plotting.

iii) I saw Sweeney Todd and it’s truly wonderful, in a grotesque and grisly king of way. Johnny Deep is very strong in the title role and Helena Bonham-Carter, who I’ve only ever really liked in Planet Of The Apes (and quite fancied as a chimpanzee if I’m totally honest) was amazingly good. I may even be tempted to see it again.

iv) I started reading That Damned United, a fact-based fiction book by David Peace about Brian Clough’s 44 days in charge of Leeds United. I devoured the first 100 pages in a day. It’s a fantastic book. In fact it’s quite possibly one of the best sports books I’ve ever read.

So. Lots of reasons to be cheerful this weekend. Let’s see how long it lasts...

No comments: