Sunday, January 27, 2008

Thoughts For The Day...

I've finished two books over the weekend.

One was The Damned United by David Peace, which is a fact-based fictional account of Brian Clough's 44-day stint in charge of Leeds United. As a fan of both Leeds and Mr Clough it was a superb read and it just got better. Poetic and moving, it was one of the best sports books I've ever read and is easily up there with All Played Out by Peter Davies, a wonderful book about Italia 90 and England's greatest footballing journey since 1966, and Playing Off The Rail by David McCumber, a book about a journalist and a pool player taking a hustling road trip across the US.

The Other was Classic FM's Friendly Guide To Classical Music. It's a book for classical music virgins but after reading it I won't feel quite so intimidated the next time I venture into the classical music bit of HMV. It's also given me some leads on composers I like the sound of who may well sound like other composers I've so far discovered on my fledgling journey in posho music land.

I also love one of the quotes in it by Finnish composer Sibelius: 'Pay no attention to what critics say. No statue has ever been put up to a critic.'

I'll remember these words the next time somebody lambasts one of my plays. It also reminds me of one of my favourite Clough quotes when a journalist was questioning one of his team selections. Clough simply turned round and said: 'And how many European Cups have you won, son?'

Sibelius and Clough. Kindred spirits I reckon...

No comments: