Thursday, January 17, 2008

Reasons To Be Cheerful...

I'm returning to play for Surrey, my county pool team, in a few weeks so I've been putting in some table time and I'm starting to play quite well again.

This is quite exciting as I used to be quite a good player with a couple of England trials behind me when I lived in Surrey and I was out playing with my mates two or three nights a week. But since moving to London a gradual lack of practice, motivation and a decent place nearby to play meant my form suffered a slow but inevitable decline.

But I'm now putting the table time in and I starting to play quite well again. I don't think I'll ever be the player I was at my peak but I also wouldn't sacrifice the family, the hapkido, the writing and everything else to have that sort of form back either.

In many ways it's about accepting a compromise and I think it's something a lot of pool players have to go through at some point. You just become a different type of player who uses guile and experience as much as skill to get your wins.

But then again I also knocked in a very respectable 82 at snooker last night and I'm taking decent clearances out on a pool table again so maybe it won't be too much of a compromise after all. And if I'm back in a very strong county squad that must make me half-decent.

And it does give me the excuse to spend oodles of cash on a new cue as I'm starting to have doubts about my current one.

Maybe the Missus is right and I just needs things to obsess over...

No comments: