Friday, January 06, 2006

The Hit Man And Her

‘It’s the little things in life that keep you going… like imagining killing your husband and getting his life insurance money!’

I no longer worry when the missus lends herself to violent thoughts so when she offered this gem on Wednesday morning I knew I was safe. But that’s because it’s when she’s calm and seemingly at peace that I now know to be wary.

Take several weeks ago when she was curled up in bed snoozing. I put my arm around her and prepared to curl up for the night and an elbow suddenly flew at my face. I yelped and she half-awoke…

‘What’s wrong?’ she asked.
‘You elbowed me in the face!’
‘I didn’t. I was asleep.’
‘Well you sleep-elbowed me then.’
‘What were you doing?’
‘Just curling up to you.’
‘Well let that be lesson then…’

And she promptly fell back to sleep. It’s like martial arts. When you know an attack is coming it’s easy to defend but when it’s out of the blue... Ouch!

One of my Aussie chums has also given the following number of the week. It concerns an Aussie rugby player who played for the Sharks, my adopted side since seeing them play about five years ago when in Sydney. I’ll leave it to him to explain:

‘The greatest Shark died yesterday. Steve Rogers (CEO of the Sharks) committed suicide at only 51. He was suffering depression. He was a veteran of 231 first grade games: 202 for the Sharks and 29 for St George.’

I reckon that makes 202 be the number of the week. RIP Steve.

No comments: