Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Box Of Tricks...

So I attend my introductory boxing lesson and it's tough work but pretty enjoyable and not totally exhausting.

I also like the place, the facilities are good and I really like and rate the guy who does the training there. He's quietly spoken and assured and you instantly realise he really knows his stuff inside-out.

It is a bit pricey but I remind myself I'm buying their expertise and facilities so that at the end of six months I'll have boxing skills and speed that will move my hapkido sparring up a notch.

Then this worry is removed when the Missus offers to buy it for my last birthday (as there was nothing I wanted so I have a present 'owing') and my forthcoming one. So it's all systems go if I want it...

It was quite odd entering a whole new world for the first time, though, as I have some of the skills and fitness but I quickly realised I am sorely lacking in certain areas. For example I assumed my cycling and hapkido leg strength would be a major asset but my calves ached for a day after spending so much time on the balls of my feet and my toes in the boxing ring.

I also have the basic punches but my punching combination work needs serious work as I can't rely on delivering a roundhouse kick, a low ankle breaker or a cheeky elbow to somebody's face to get myself out of trouble if I'm in close.

But it's all part of the learning process and I think it will pay dividends. So come April one may officially be a student of pugilism.

Excellent...

No comments: