Thursday, March 06, 2008

The Zen Of Pool: Part V...

Another match and another defeat, this time against a player I should not lose to but did.

And even worse it was the same story as last week when I went into a 2-0 lead then hit the self-destruct button. To be fair he played well and carried a bit of luck but I couldn’t get into the game at all and ended up losing 4-7.

Sadly it was my own fault as I wasn’t at all focused and couldn’t get into the right frame of mind to be competitive and determined and grind the result out. I was so annoyed I even forgot to use my little mental switch trick.

Then to add insult to injury I had an hour playing afterwards in a friendly and for the second week running I absolutely flew once the match was over. No wonder I hit a wall and nearly broke a knuckle in frustration. Bloody stupid game…

The good news, however, is it proves my game is still there but the bad news is I’m not bringing it to matches. Strangely this isn't a problem I have in team games.

For example I have a county match on Sunday but I’m confident I’ll play well there because I’m playing in a team and the pressure of playing for a team usually brings out the best in me. And maybe that’s something to consider: in the singles league I’m only playing for money but in a team game I’m playing for my mates.

But for now it’s back to basics. I have one match left in this singles league and I’m looking at mid-table mediocrity. It could be better and it could be worse but the new league restarts in four weeks and I have to ensure I’m up and running for that otherwise I may as well not bother playing in it.

I think like hapkido I need to establish a proper training routine and stick to it because turning up once a week and expecting to perform at my best is no good.

No comments: