Saturday, March 08, 2008

Hull On Earth...

I am originally from the Venice of the M62 otherwise known as Goole.

As a Goolie I have natural antipathy towards folk from Hull so it gave me great delight to uncover the following information when researching venereal disease for the rewrites to my play Meat.

'There are other suspected syphilis findings for pre-contact Europe, including at a 13–14th century Augustinian friary in the north-eastern English port of Kingston upon Hull. This city's maritime history is thought to have been a key factor in the transmission of syphilis. Carbon dated skeletons of monks who lived in the friary showed bone lesions typical of venereal syphilis.'

It is a disputed theory but the idea of Codheads being responsible for the outbreak of syphilis across Europe is an absolute belter, especially as one of my pool-playing chums is from the City of Fish and a major Tigers supporters.

The comedy Gods are smiling...

No comments: