Saturday, August 05, 2006

Portugal: Week Two Continued Even More…


Day 12-14: I’ve been a very busy boy over the past three days and have nearly finished rewrites on Touch, my play about the breakdown of a marriage that I need to resubmit to a potentially interested theatre company. I am also preparing to do a major overhaul of Trust, my play about local politics and it is because of the latter I figured I’d take in King Lear on my iPod.
I directed the play when I was 19 and I have always thought the play itself (rather than my direction of it) is a truly marvellous achievement. In my humble opinion (prepare for pretentious statement here) it is the Bard’s defining work, but for current purposes it’s a play about two old men who are betrayed and lose power and go through major trauma because of it.
This fits in quite well with Trust as it’s not only a play about local politics but about the tragedy of two old men who lose everything through a combination of betrayal and their own folly.
Listening to Lear again after all this time opened up all sorts of ideas and I’d now definitely like to add a storm scene. But the delights of Trust will be truly pondered when Touch is done and dusted. And that may be another two weeks yet…

Day 15: Planned to go the famous (well, for the Lagos area anyway) Gypsy Market today but in the end we decided we couldn’t be arsed. This was because rather than have hundreds of stalls selling ethnic jewellery and Romany clothes and Portuguese nick-naks it was actually a few hundred stallholders selling fake La Coste, pirate DVDs and knocked-off trainers. Like Wembley Market but with better weather.
So we bought custard tarts and pottered about while packing.

No comments: