Monday, September 11, 2006

Glasses Half Empty…

Medical science is a wonderful thing. OK, so the common cold is still one step ahead and pesky cancer is still giving it a bit of a kicking but on the whole it’s rather brilliant what they can cure these days.

And in this category laser eye surgery is one of the recent advances that grabbed my attention as several pals have had it done and reported impressive results so I finally worked up the courage to go for a consultation with a view to getting it done at Xmas.

No more specs, no more fiddling around with contact lenses before hapkido, no more worrying about getting that first scratch on an expensive new pair of glasses…

The possibility of a brave new world was suddenly opening up before me.

This sort of optimism was, of course, just asking for trouble and lo it appeared when 20 minutes into the consultation the optometrist told me I couldn’t have it done as my eyesight is too poor (although apparently with my specs I have better than 20/20 vision).

I was a bit glum over this and promptly arrived home and let rip on the punchbag for a good half hour. The missus and the boy then arrived home and I broke the news to her.

‘We can put men on the Moon and medical science can apparently cure most things but my eyesight is beyond even that sort of technology. I’m afraid you’re still married to a speccy spacker…’

The missus smiled.

‘Well, you were a speccy spacker when I married you so I’m not unhappy with that.’

I smiled too.

No comments: