Monday, September 04, 2006

Viva Espana!

Me and the missus went to see Volver by Pedro Almodovar yesterday.

It was a truly fabulous movie with the usual quirky storyline and offbeat characters seeking redemption through love. Penelope Cruz played the lead character but it was a really strong ensemble piece.

I’m quite a fan of Almodovar and I could rattle on for ages about how Bad Education is a really uplifting film… or how Live Flesh is a visually stunning movie… or how Matador is really tragic…

Well, I could but I have major problems pronouncing his surname so any verbal praise for the Madrid movie maestro usually sounds like this:

‘I really like Alodomerar…’ Or this: ‘I’m a big Amoldovarerer fan.’

Try as I might I have a mental incapacity to translate the name I can write perfectly well into a word that I can pronounce. To be fair, it could be a family-based illness, as the missus has a similar problem with the phrase ‘I agree with you and you are right’ and the boy always uses ‘Idiot’ when what he actually means is ‘loving stepfather’.

So I usually keep quite when this subject of Almodovar comes up and wait for them to get round to discussions on Benny Hill or Dick Emery. And this can take serious time…

No comments: