Friday, September 15, 2006

The ShIT Crowd…

The office printer decided to go on the blink today because a toner cartridge needed replacing.

Our procedure for such things at my particular words factory is to contact our IT department, be passed around two or three people for ten minutes, then be patronised for another five minutes when I get the right person until they promise to send one of their minions to take a look at the problem.

But today they adopted a new tactic. I explained the problem and, drawing on their years of experience and countless degrees in computer and electronic engineering, they advised me to ‘Pick up the toner cartridge and waggle it a bit.’

I pointed out that I had already exhausted the waggle option, which caught them a bit off-guard – until they followed it up with more sage advice…

‘You could try waggling it a bit harder...’

They went to university for that…

No comments: