Monday, October 02, 2006

On Yer Bike!

I am now a cyclist and I am biking into work.

My initial battleplan was to use this exercise to help increase my stamina at hapkido as the academy is constantly attracting younger, fitter and more skilled martial artists who have high belts in other arts. But having pootled around sans bicycle I can now see the attraction of cycling for its own sake. I reckon I could be hooked.

I bought my new bike via a cycle-to-work scheme and picked it up on Saturday and had a ride around on it. But today was the first big test of cycling into work and it sort of went OK.

But I have so far learnt the following:

i) Drivers of black cabs are utter cunts.
ii) Other cyclists are generally very courteous.
iii) Drivers of black cabs are utter cunts who don’t give a flying fuck if they prang you or not or drive too close for comfort.
iv) Young men who drive white vans are generally to be treated with the same regard as drivers of black cabs.
v) There are not enough cycle lanes in London.
vi) Drivers of black cabs are utter cunts who don’t give a flying fuck if they prang you or not or drive too close for comfort or drive straight through the cycle lane and anyone in it if it means they can pick up a fare.

I will, of course, be reporting back on further cycling discoveries but I reckon that’s enough for one morning.

No comments: