Sunday, December 30, 2007

Blade Too!

As a martial arts student I have a fascination with martial arts weaponry and in the past I've bought a couple of things to play with.

The first of these is a kubotan. This is essentially a short steel rod with one blunted end and a keyring at the other end. It is essentially grasped tight in a fist and the end which protrudes from the bottom of the fist is used to strike vulnerable parts of a potential attacker via a hammer fist strike (striking downwards or across and hitting with the bottom of the clenched fist). It has other nifty blocking and trapping applications, too, but it's at its most lethal with this one strike.

I also treated myself to a pair of nunchucks last year and these are much more difficult to master as to generate power you need to really whip them round, but if you don't know how to avoid them on the return or how to catch them on the return they can clatter you on the head. And it hurts. Quite a lot. Honest...

Over time I'm got a few basic strikes down with the chucks and I've got a basic understanding of the stabbing and blocking tricks but I'm still working on combination strikes as these are a bit tricky.

My newest weapon, however, is a sword. Even better it was bought for me by the Missus for Xmas. Sadly (pictured below) it's made out of foam and is only 2ft long. I don't think she takes my hobby seriously.

Or it may even be a comment on something else...

No comments: