Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Gone To Pot...

It was the first pool competition of the year on Sunday and I was intending to stay sober and try to win some prize money.

Even better I was cueing well and I won my opening two games against two good players. Then Shaggy, my one-time drinking partner at pool events, thrusts a pint of lager into my hand and that was all it took to see any resolve at sobriety crumble.

I then lost my next match against an 18-year-old Surrey potting prodigy who’s already a professional player and has future world champion written all over him. In fact in 25 years of playing pool I have never been so comprehensively beaten by anyone. Ever...

This was about 3pm but I decide to stick around and have a few pints and get some practice in.

I arrive home at 1am. Quite pissed. I've also left my keys at home meaning I can't get in. I ring the doorbell. The Missus is not happy to be woken up at this time and I am not very popular. But she has her revenge...

The next morning we have builders in doing some work and I am laid in bed in a darkened bedroom willing my hangover to go away. I want to sleep. But the light suddenly goes on and in walks the Missus with two of the builders and she proceeds to spend ten minutes telling them what she wants doing.

I want them to go way but there's not a thing I can do. She is evil but I deserve this. She has me bang to rights...

No comments: