Friday, January 30, 2009

Crash Card...

It's been a busy old time at work of late and I've had my head down beavering away and not really taking too much else in.

So when a colleague asked me to sign a card for somebody who was leaving my mind adopted its usual default position while I was concentrating on something else and wrote what I usually write in leaving cards which happens to be ‘Good riddance’.

Most of my previous work colleagues who've left have realised this was a joke and took it in the spirit it is meant, but 20 minutes after signing this card I suddenly realise I have just signed a card for some poor sod who has been made redundant rather than leave of their own volition. Bugger...

So I run round to the card bearer's desk, ask to have the card back but am informed it has already been sealed and is due for presentation.

I therefore explain my faux pas and he laughs and five minutes later I am carefully slicing into a sealed card to add a phrase so it reads 'Good riddance... not!'

I reseal the card and an hour later my departing colleague approaches my desk to say good bye. She is very sweet and laughs at my comment. I've narrowly escaped looking like a total twat...

Note to self: in future stick to signing something simple like 'Good luck!'

No comments: