Tuesday, January 13, 2009

On Form...

It was my first lesson back at hapkido today and I am now starting to learn the new form for my black belt grading.

When I first started learning hapkido the forms and their purpose totally baffled me, but I eventually realised the individual moves of any martial art are like learning the individual letters of a new alphabet and the forms are structured ways to teach students how to put those letters together into something cogent.

Well, I say I eventually realised but I actually read it in a book.

I've now being studying hapkido for more than five years and in that time I've learnt nine forms and am now starting to learn my tenth and, after really disliking this aspect of hapkido at first, I'm slowly growing to appreciate and maybe even to like studying forms.

At their worst they can be frustrating and bloody difficult to get a handle on and there have been times when I never thought I'd win through with them. But occasionally you get a brief glimpse of understanding, then when you start to get hold of one it can be quite a graceful and beautiful thing. And the fact forms also help improve your stances, understanding and movement in other areas is a real boon too.

Sadly five years in and the only one I really feel I've got a very good understanding of is the first one I learnt. And if that's the rate of learning then I may actually be really good at all of them by the time I'm 95.

Here's hoping, eh?

No comments: