Saturday, July 19, 2008

Movie Madness…

Myself and the Boy ventured to the big Movie and Comic Book Convention at Earls Court this weekend.

We pride ourselves on being movie and comic fans but with the geek taken out, although if truth be told I am at the forefront of my own campaign to reclaim the word ‘geek’ and use it as a term of empowerment in the same way the gay community now uses the word ‘queer’.

There was quite healthy turnout for this event and myself and the Boy were fascinated to see that lots of people had dressed up for it. So we’re wandering around and we turn one corner and there’s a man dressed in a home-made Transformers costume, we turn another corner and there’s a very sweet lesbian couple walking round hand-in-hand (but one of them is dressed as a Jedi knight with light sabre hanging from her belt).

There was also a young girl dressed as Red Sonja who was getting quite a lot of attention, mainly because she was showing quite a lot of flesh and you get the impression not many attendees got the chance to get up that close to a near-naked woman. Add in a few dozen folk in Star Trek costumes, many bods dressed as comic characters and various people in horror and other sci-fi movie garb and you get the idea.

It was the sort of place where Tron Man would be king. In fact the only place where Tron Man would be king…

The Boy sported his Green Lantern t-shirt and I felt particularly under-dressed as I hadn’t even worn the obligatory comic character t-shirt showing allegiance to the tribe of geek. Then walking around one corner the Boy suddenly says something to me that sounds like ‘There’s no way he’ll fit into an X-man…’

So I look around trying to spot the X-man in question without success.
‘Where?’ I ask.
‘There!’ says the Boy pointing in front of us.
‘I can’t see any X-men…’
‘X-wing. I said he’d never fit in an X-wing.’

I look ahead and see a very portly chap dressed like an X-wing fighter pilot from Star Wars. And he was right. He never would fit into an X-wing. The Boy, however, remained still stunned I misunderstood him.
‘I said X-wing not X-man. I mean, how is anyone going to fit into an X-man?’
I pause.
‘He could try to shag him…’

The Boy looks at me in disgust.
‘You’re so wrong in the head…’

Apparently a portly man dressed as an X-wing pilot trying to anally rape another man dressed in an X-men costume is beyond the pale. Modern youth, eh?

No comments: