Wednesday, June 21, 2006

The Last Word

Myself and the missus are having a discussion and I am annoyed.

‘I really hate the way you try to have the last word in every petty argument we ever have.’
‘That’s not entirely true.’
‘It is!’
‘It’s not…’
‘We can never have an exchange of views over anything without you having the last word! Take last night. I was cooking burgers…’
‘Badly…’
‘How can anyone cook burgers badly? You just stick them under the grill!’
‘Well you messed it up…’
‘My point is… for just once… can I have the last word in an argument? Even a minor discussion will do…’
‘OK. You can have the last word now.’
‘Really? Right... Well, I don’t ever want to argue about this petty nonsense again. I am sick of it.’

Pause.

‘Fine by me…’

She leaves the room. A minute goes by and I realise I have been done. Again…

No comments: